Friday 13 February 2015

The notion of not judging somebody

The whole Christian notion of not judging somebody is quite frankly one of the most ridiculous philosophies one can adopt in life. The Bible is filled with verses which warn us against judging someone lest we be judged too.

"Luke 6:37 Do not judge, and you will not be judged; and do not condemn, and you will not be condemned; pardon, and you will be pardoned."

"Matthew 7:1 Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you..."

What does it mean to 'judge' somebody? It means to form an impression or opinion after observation of a person's behaviour. If I was having a conversation, and using cuss words in every other sentence, I think it's fair if you judged me to be a pretty uncouth fellow. If I was morbidly obese with layers of fat spilling out of the top of my trousers and from under my chin, I think it's fair I was judged to be a lazy, inactive sloth with no regard for my fitness.

It is only human nature to judge somebody and to instruct one to behave otherwise is unnatural and abnormal. The lesson that should be taught is to NOT treat a person differently despite whatever judgement or impression you may have made or formed of a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment